We are a regional organization of illustrators whose works focus on science and nature.
Our goals are to:
- Further our own professional development by learning from each other
- Encourage each other toward higher standards of competence and ethics
- Network and socialize with others having similar interests and work experiences
- Support the intellectual property rights of visual artists
- Promote our discipline to the general public and to potential clients
- Educate the public about science and nature through our work
We meet every month or two throughout the year, primarily in locations between Kitchener and Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Anyone with a genuine interest in nature and science illustration is welcome to join.
Speculative (spec) work is any kind of work that a creative professional renders and submits to a potential client in the hopes of securing work or payment, but without guarantee of appropriate compensation and/or without a fair agreement concerning rights to the work. Often the solicitation for spec work is in the form of a contest or competition.
The Southern Ontario Nature and Science Illustrators endorses the positions of these two organizations on the issue of spec work:
The Guild of Natural Science Illustrators
The Association of Medical Illustrators
SONSI will not promote or distribute solicitations for spec work, and discourages its members from engaging in spec work.