Here is your opportunity to submit questions you hope to have answered at our October 2nd event with a lawyer specializing in legal issues for artists. There will be a question-and-answer period. However, with a large audience there may not be time for every question. Also, the questions posed here may serve as a guideline for the lawyer when he prepares his presentation. Post your questions as comments below.
Initially, the lawyer was told that we’d be interested in hearing about:
• registering visual arts copyrights in Canada AND in the USA, the benefits of registering, and the advantages/disadvantages of doing so in one country vs. another
• what to do when someone has infringed copyright
• what constitutes Fair Use, especially on the internet
• tips for writing contracts (common pitfalls, etc)
• the proposed new copyright legislation in Canada and how it might affect illustrators
• any relevant interesting cases he’s had or has heard about
These are fairly general topics. What specific questions do you have?
Related to this event, you may wish to read the special issue on Artist’s Rights recently published by the Journal of Biocommunication.